Sunday, July 29, 2007

Tortuous and Torturous Observations

The Road Less Travelled Life is difficult. Such are the first three words written in M. Scott Peck's venerable book, The Road Less Travelled, a perennial New York Times bestseller and one of my all time favorites... a must read for the soul. I reflected on that simple yet profound declaration while riding my usual 53 mile country ride. It was a strange feeling riding alone, without Kelly. As I have written, she was hospitalized with a virus and is still on the slow road to recovery. It's been a tough few weeks for her. And I won't sugar coat things .. she's got a lot ahead. Life has been anything but easy these days for my Kelly. Heading Out After sleeping for only about 5 restless hours, I got up at 7 this morning and rushed out the door. Stuffed the bike and things in the pinkgurugal mobile, then made the drive north 60 miles! That's what my odometer clocked from my house to the country. Never knew that. God was on my side during the ride Riding through the stretch that winds through forest is my favorite part of the ride, made bettter today by the fact that traffic was lighter than your usual sundays.

Maybe people stayed away because of rain. For me, it was hot, but I was saved from any sort of deluge. Then... It started pouring after my ride, as I was driving home. Again, God gave me a break. Get your head IN the Gut'r

My friends used to make fun of me, but I swear by this ridiculous looking thing. It's a contraption I found at Luke's Locker you put on you forehead to wick the sweat from your eyes. It works like this: *sweat trickles down the forehead like a waterfall (in my case) *sweat beads fall into slit of the gut'r (like a real gutter would do *that sweat drains to each side AMAZING! Isn't that silly? Say goodbye to tear stings. The Gut'r works. Just make sure you place the thing along your eyebrows to save from a funny tan line. Vegas Baby Pinkgurugal is heading to sin city for the next few days. No I don't plan to party or gamble, I'm surprising my parents (they live there). I spent a fortune on last minute tickets, but they are my parents. And they are worth it. Priceless. Let's hope I can find a decent gym to train...it's frappin hot there right now! Cheers and happy training! “Flaming enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for success.” Dale Carnegie

6 comments:

TriMedic said...

Anytime that you want to go riding, let me know I would be happy to go with you this is Anthony, the UH tri guy. My number is 713-725-2782

Baun said...

pinkgurugal - just discovered your blog via the many interconnected tri-blogs on the interweb. I've read through some of your posts and enjoy your writing and humor.

Re: the sweat gutter -- have you ever tried the Halo Headbands? I swear these rock the joint and work great, probably just as well as your plastic sweat gutter, but doesn't make you look like a Trekkie... :)

I wear them in every race and they fit nicely under the bike helmet. That little yellow rubber stripe really works to steer sweats to the side.

Well, best wishes in IM Wisconsin! I just learned how to swim (as in, at all) 2 years ago, and am looking forward to doing my first Ironman next year.

Continue living strong!

pinkgurugal said...

anthony: i think i'll have to take you up on that offer soon! but i am so slow! i am riding a century ride this weekend. will probably take me 6 1/2 hours with at least one stop.

pinkgurugal said...

Baun: yes i checked out the halo! thanks! ya think it would leave tan lines?

pinkgurugal said...

Baun: yes i checked out the halo! thanks! ya think it would leave tan lines?

TriMedic said...

Nobody is slow to themselves them are just either slower or faster to everyone else. Think goldielocks and the three bears. It would be my pleasure and privlege to ride with you anytime that I can