Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Progress, Distress and Digestive Diuress

Kelly Update #2 My dear friend Kelly remains in the hospital, albeit she has made progress. It appears her fevers have ceased, though she is still stiff, tired and unable to keep down solids. She was in great spirits though, when I spoke to her and says she feels like she's ready to ride her bike. Isn't she a stud ?

Back on the Training Wagon Last week was supposed to be the first of our "ironman specific" or peak performance workouts. Translation: The training was supposed to get doubly hard. But an annoying illness got in the way, so I was reduced to three lackluster workouts last week. Since I still feel the lingering effects of whatever has been keeping me down, I am using this week to train "recovery" style and will pretend last week never existed. In other words, I'm taking the "easy week" schedule. Yesterday was not so good

I headed to the pool to swim with my roommate. No problem right? Easy 3500 meters? WRONG. I got so nauseous about 30 minutes into my swim I had to stop. In retrospect, I wonder if it was the flip turns that made me dizzy and my brain feel like it was going to combust? Tuesday morning Still a "triathlete in progress", I decided to throw the bike onto the trainer for 80 minute workout. Well... I forgot I had not changed the back tire. It took me 45 minutes to figure the damn thing out. Changing the back tire involves getting your hands on that greasy chain, or at least in my case. Then it was time to go to work. So I was relegated to doing the 80 minute bike trainer spin followed by a 40 minute run tonight. Oddly, I felt okay. It was nice to run after a hiatus. Can Someone Suggest a Good Soap? One of the sacrifices of being a bikey-phile (you'll see, it will become a word) ... is that the nails take a beating. I'm always a greasy mess after changing a tire. I used to always get cute manicures. I like clean, probably more than most. Now I just cut the damn things and hope people don't think I'm unkempt.

A Twisted Appetite

Since the beginning of last week, just as I was getting sick, I started munching on pretzels from this huge canister. It's what sounded good. It's what I could stomach for the most part. I was struck that in a matter of seven days... I ATE THE ENTIRE THING Out of morbid curiosity I decided to see what exactly that amounted to. So doing the math I ingested: 3 1/2 pounds 5720 calories 52 grams fat 1092 grams carbs 156 grams protein 24,440 mg sodium Empty calories I have no self control. Cheers and happy training! “Defeat doesn't finish a man – quit does. A man is not finished when he's defeated. He's finished when he quits.” Richard Nixon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey crazy woman, I keep a pair of latex gloves in my bag just for that reason. Then I have clean hands after a flat tire. Also baby powder is good for the tube to slide in the tire. I was in the live truck beside you today in Pasadena. Have fun, and I like your site..