Saturday, July 28, 2007

Getting Punked and Girl Power

Angry White Male That's how I would describe my "in career transition" friend Terry. As you can see, Terry is sporting the life of leisure look these days.

And to explain his contrived, unceremonious gesture, I'll preface by saying as a confounded child might say: TERRY STARTED IT Since this is a PG-rated blog, I will speak in code (figure it out) about my friend's surly look.

Some months back, over a few margaritas, Terry "confided" to Mike that Terry and I had... ahem... engaged in a clandestine carnal affair. I guess to get a rise out of Mike. Mike believed it. Because Terry is GREAT LIAR. Trust me, he could sell you the sun, which last I checked was free. Terry told me. I pretended to not care. Then I started plotting...with Mike. MIKE AND I ARE HAVING A BABY! Not really, but it's what we told Terry. Spawned by an "about last night" dalliance... seven weeks ago. And since I have been sick, the timing couldn't have been better.

Terry believed it. He counsoled both of us when we arrived to his house Friday morning, holding hands. And putting on our distressed look, poker kind of faces.

We talked up marriage. He would be the godfather. We would all share responsibilities. There was a group hug. And then there was

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Pinkgurugal punks! Push up! (my new euphemisn for "raise the roof"! ) Terry, we had you going, and you had it coming! *** BONITA HOUSE BABES ***

Last night I had the honor of speaking at a graduation ceremony at Bonita House of Hope. It's a women's shelter, and every month, women graduate from either their 90 day clean and sober program , or move to the next phase of their lives.... getting back on their feet and into the real world. Putting down in words what I witnessed last night can't describe the inspiration, pride and strength felt in a packed room. There were 14 graduates, joined by their 80 or so Bonita sisters, and friends and loved ones. Each shared their stories and donning their graduation uniforms, they received diplomas. For many, this was the first time they had ever accomplished anything. There was singing, dancing, chanting and praying. I was moved. These ladies have come a long ways. Giving back is really what it's all about boys and girls. Try it sometime. It will change you. Cheers and happy training!

"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!”

Anne Frank

No comments: