Monday, July 23, 2007

Kelly Update

Kelly Firstly, thank you so much for all of you who have posted your prayers and well wishes to kelly. I had the chance to visit her at the hospital, and in spite of being sick, her spirits are very good. The doctors believe she caught a bad virus, but they are still monitoring her. She is expected to be in the hospital for a few more days. Again, thank you. Training without Kelly Last week seemed like a big blur. Kelly is sick, I still can't shake whatever it is I have, meaning my training has suffered. Even though I still didn't feel 100 percent yesterday , after leaving Kelly at the hospital I headed to Twin Lakes to attempt a loop (990 meters-ish) and a 40 mile bike ride. It has been a long time since I did Sunday alone, and particularly without Kelly in front of me on the bike. The swim went okay. I was surprised I still remembered how to do it quite frankly. A Flat Situation When I loaded up my bike that morning, I notice the front tire was flat. Of course, I thought I'd just pump it up when I got to Twin Lakes. Nope. There was a tear. So I changed the flat. Good thing I knew how. The Ride Riding from Twin Lakes is a relatively easy and safe path. You head about 5 miles west on Highway 6, then south of FM 521 and keep going until you feel like turning around. The roads are flat, smooth, and for almost all of the way, the shoulders are wide. I decided to take things easy. But not soon after I started, I felt awful. So I started playing the usual mind games. "This will pass...what are you made of?... mind over matter...blah blah blah..." But it didn't, and I felt terrible. And I felt even more miserable when at mile 38, about two miles from Twin Lakes.... I had ANOTHER FLAT And I had no tube since I just changed the front tire. So there I am, standing along this busy highway, a little girl with a pink bike, and NO ONE pulls over. There was a gas station about 1/4 mile up, so I managed to bike with my flat there. Derek to the Rescue. A really nice gentleman named Derek swooped up the bike and brought me back to Twin Lakes. It turns out he's a 22 year veteran with the Houston Fire Department and works at station 93 in Clear Lake. There are good people in this world. I plan to send him a thank you card. Yesterday WAS NOT my day. You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” Eleanor Roosevelt

2 comments:

Jane said...

Hey - I have that Eleanor Roosevelt quote on my fridge!
I'm glad Kelly's okay.

pinkgurugal said...

thanks jane. she should be discharged today! yeah!