Monday, August 13, 2007

Sun sickies, Indoor Anguish, Romantic Reunions and Commune Kidding Around

HEAT EXHAUSTION CLAIMS LIFE OF WOMAN DUBBED "PINKGURUGAL" Well, that's what the headlines would have said. The news clip might go something like: "Authorities are investigating the tragic death of a Houston area woman often seen riding her pink bike. Witnesses tell police she ignored all heat advisory warnings to stay indoors. "Man, you'd think a lady whose job it was to stay current on news and weather would know better," said a nearby resident. Friends say the woman often ignored common sense. I speak for everyone living in the Houston area when I say "MAN ITS BALLS HOT!" Especially when you are thick of hard core Ironman training. And especially when you have a track workout at 5pm on a Saturday afternoon. I might as well have just taken a shower when I got back from that 80 minute interval scorcher. I sweat so much that I had to hang my running gear so the sweat can drip from it.

If you are questioning the veracity of my submission, just come workout with me. Bike Bonk "Bonk" in its literal meaning describes a strike or blow to the head . In triathlon circles bonk has a similar connotation. "Bonking" during a race means your body says no more, game over, you're wasted. And the reasons can be many. It happened to me on Sunday. I officially had my first bonk. It's never happened to me, even in all my years of running. But of course, this is ironman training. And again, it was BALLS HOT What happened? Was I simply tired? Did I not drink enough water?? Maybe I should have just taken an entire jug and chugged it prior to my ride? After hours of careful post bonk analysis, I blame it on... Heat Exhaustion According to a google search, the indisputable internet describes heat exhaustion as: "...a condition resulting from excessive exposure to intense heat, characterized by high fever, collapse, and sometimes convulsions or coma."

hmmm... let's see. Saturday run in sultry sun. Sunday seven hour ride. 107 heat index. No sodium tablets. 2 1/2 beers the prior night.... could it be? My BFF and training partner Kelly prepared Saturday evening. At least I thought so.

We packed ALL of our things, and even had a "nutrition lecture" from my roomie Liam about taking in electrolytes and sodium. Since those electrolyte pills made me sick on a previous long ride, I went old school and took pure salt. Obviously I need a new game plan. PINKGURUGAL'S NEAR ROADKILL EXPERIENCE RECAP A few hours into our first 53 mile loop I began feeling delirious. Then I got lost (and I've done this loop a million times). Then my muscles started feeling tight. So I popped a few Advil. Ooh, maybe a cliff bar will make me feel better? Nope? Then my head then felt like it was going to explode.

It took the life out of me to make it back to my car after 60 miles and pass out. I slept in the car, with the air conditioning blasted, for about 2 hours. I forced Kelly to finished the 112 mile plus ride, since she was feeling strong and I didn't want to ruin her ride. She reluctantly went her way. Of course, she said she cursed on the second loop. And cried. And felt scorched. And had to stop for ice and put it down her shirt. But she finished. Can you believe this girl was sick in the hospital just a few weeks ago!

Yes, now I know what improper nutrition coupled with heat overexposure does to you. Oh yeah and my heart rate dropped about 50 beats in a matter of minutes. Not good. Somehow, I recovered after that power car nap. So Kelly and I went for a swim after our misadventure. Liam met us at the lake. I managed about 1800 meters. He followed us home. We call this photo-op while driving. I was three hours short on the bike. But there was no way I was getting on my bike again that day. Several blogs ago I said I choose heat over rain. I rescind that comment. So there was NO WAY I was going to run in this heat on Monday. Dread the Tread(mill) I stalled and stalled. I ran errands, I went to lunch. It took every ounce of mental motivation in me to head to the gym and do my 2 1/2 hour run. ughh. And in the highly unlikely event you decide to do something like run stationary for 2 1/2 hours, here's something you should know. The machine allows you to only run for a maximum of 99 minutes. I had to break it up in two sessions. See, even computers are smart. They know beyond 99, it makes no common sense. Once again. Yep, once again. I cheated by listening to my ipod the entire time. I thank Justin Timberlake, and Gwen Stefani, and Outkast, and Erasure, and Beasties Boys...etc... for getting me through this torture.

Cuteface and Pinkgurugal Reunited!

Tonight I had the honor of having a dinner date with one of my favorite men, Andy, aka "cuteface" (that's what I call him). Since we had not seen each other in quite some time, we had a romantic dinner at Sushi King. We also had a few bottles of cold sake. I miss my cuteface. We had so much to catch up on. Cuteface I love you!

The Other Regular Reunion When they aren't at the tri commune, you can find my crew at their other favorite digs...

Barnaby's I got a text on my way home from my date with cuteface. "We need you!" Is there an emergency I thought? Is someone hurt? Is my BFF Kelly okay? I told them I would be right there. Just save me a cookie. Oh and with ice cream. No one was hurt. They were just crying in laughter. Esoteric talk. the kind you cant say around kids.

Chelly?

That's what the tri commune friends have dubbed Kelly and me. It's a combo of our names. Yep, this is what happens when singles get bored. Inane stuff. Welcome to our vacuous way of life. Cheers and happy training! "Shared laughter creates a bond of friendship. When people laugh, they cease to be young and old, teacher and pupils,worker and boss. They become a single group of human beings." W. Lee Grant

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

Chelly-
I had so much fun with "the family" last night! I haven't laughed that hard since the last time we were all together!
-Natalie

Jane said...

Read Trigreyhound's post about IM training in Houston in August - I think you can relate. You are hardcore! Be safe though.

pinkgurugal said...

Hey natalie,
I am so gfrateful for our commune friends. It's always so much fun!

KellyBean said...

This is better half...I mean your bigger half. I love that we are now one...Chelly. We are a household name....at the tri commune that is. Love ya!

KC

pinkgurugal said...

hey chelly!

love you!

pinkgurugal said...

Jane:

hard core? you're next!!!