Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Ironman Excess

Late night lull I was so tired from my long bike ride on Sunday, not to mention I felt a little sun poisoned, that I put off my 2 1/2 hour run until 8pm Monday evening. It was so sunny and hot all day that the mere thought of more sun exposure was enough to make me want to crawl into a dark hole.... reminiscent of that scene from Interview with the Vampire, when Tom Cruise's daughter turns into stone when exposed to the sun. That would have happened to me. I felt strong during the run, but since it was still hot and muggy (even at night), I ran home DRENCHED from head to toe. My shorts felt Like I showered in them. I'm not kidding. I sweat like a man. Maybe because I really am a man. Or maybe because I just do. Out of curiosity I came home and weighed myself. Did I really lost THREE POUNDS of water weight??? Early morning mull That's what I did before I left for the pool. I lolligagged around the house until around 8:00am, even though I had been up since 6:30am. Finally, I headed to the pool for a recovery swim. I was tired. It had been a less than 12 hour training turnaround. I was pooped all day at work. Even words weren't coming together in my brain. Seeking "abs"olution I am the worst when it comes to doing abs. I can never get motivate myself to do crunches. Not to mention I have some back issues. So starting tomorrow, with the ironman a month away, I am going to try to do abs three days a week, for ten minutes each session. First thing in the morning, AFTER I have my first cup of Joe. On Comcast, there are free abs videos. These keep me honest. Plus I have post-its on my bathroom mirror to remind myself. ABS! ABS! ABS! More like ugh,ugh ugh.... This is the rug in front of the TV. I usually lay on it and start crunching away. Ally is not so much into the class. Finally, another happy birthday to TriRyGuy! That's him and Mike striking their hottie poses. Today is his actual birthday so the usual suspects (Terry, Mike, Ryan, Kelly, Liam, Rob and I) headed to our trusty favorite spot, Barnaby's. I had a hearty salad. Only to be followed by a big fat cookie. Liam made me do it. Yep, gotta do those abs. Especially now that I blogged about it. Cheers and happy training! "Pain makes men think. Thoughts make men wise. Wisdom makes life endurable." John Patrick

4 comments:

Jane said...

Please don't say that you wonder if you're a man...that's weird. Also, you ran in frickin' Houston summer! Ally is in what I like to call "lounge position" which is what Toby often assumes. That's my kind of dog!

pinkgurugal said...

I know I'm weird. Silly and a bit maniacal. Yes, I ran and cycled in that heat. Brutal. And I have to do it again this weekend.

Ally is GREAT at lounging. My roomie thinks she looks like a walrus!

Ms. Conduct said...

Great blog! I found it searching for Cheryl Francisco... hoping to go see her soon as I'm training for my first marathon. Anyway, best of luck with the Ironman. What a stud you are for doing all this training in this heat! 7 hour bike ride? I'd have to start at midnight! :) Take care!

pinkgurugal said...

hey garden obsession! cheryl is tghe absolute best therapist and i have been to many because of my back problems! if you need her number let me know!!!!