Monday, October 1, 2007

A Cinco Ranch Race Wrap Up

Pinkgurugal pushes it

On Sunday pinkgurugal gal and several of her Sugar Cycles triathlon team members raced in the Cinco Ranch Triathlon, comprised of a 400 meter swim, a 19 mile bike ride, and a 3 mile run. It's a short race, but loads to fun to be among friends who share the same passion for the sport.
Plus they served beer after the race, to which I happily had a few. Nothing like a cold brew at 9am!
I won't go into all the details, but suffice it to say it was my FASTEST sprint race in the nearly three years I started doing this. I came in 7th out of 51 in my age group with a total time of 1:28:15
The breakdown is as follows:
17th swim: 9:25.6
1st T1: 1:05.2
5th bike: 52:50.2 with a 21.6MPH average
8th in T2: 1:22.9 (I COULDN'T REMEMBER WHERE MY BIKE RACK WAS! CRAP!)
10th in run: 23:31.7 with 7:50 per mile pace
These times were HUGE for me, since a few years ago when I completed this race, I was always at the bottom of the pack, with pretty abysmal or less than mediocre times.
And not bad for a race three weeks finishing the Wisconsin Ironman and several glasses of wine coupled with 5 hours of sleep the previous night.
Oh, and add to that I drank mucho wine two additional nights during the week. Too much information but true. Hey everybody needs some catharsis every now and then!
As for my Sugar teammates. WHOA!
Roomie Liam O' Connell came in SECOND OVERALL.
He wanted my bike, but relegated to his. :)
BFF TryRyGuy took FIRST in his age group
Sugar Mama Natalie came in THIRD in our age group
Sugar Mama Lisa Tilton Mccarthy won SECOND OVERALL for females. She's the hot blond posing with us.
Sugar Teammate Trent Stephens won THIRD OVERALL for males
Sugar teammate Andrew Strong won FOURTH overall for males.
IRONBABE JANE'S JOCKEYING JOY RIDE
One MAJOR cool caveat to all these Sugar Cycle accolades. We need to rename Ironbabe Jane to SEE JANE FLY!
Wow! SECOND in the bike in our age group, first time out on her Guru, and just the first season. Here's Jane's Addiction (what she has affectionately named her GURU) next to TryRyguy...They have twinky bikes. Only Jane's is sizeably smaller. :)
Do you realize how big this is?? This self professed "Born Again Athlete" proved she's a real contender. Not to mention she was ONLY 18 SECONDS behind the woman who came in first on the bike in our age group. A 22.6 MILE PER HOUR BIKE.
YOU GO GIRL! It's only going to get better.
POST RACE REALITY CHECK
After the race, TryRiGuy, Jane and I walked to his car to go home. Only we got lost. The suburban streets all look alike. I had to majorly whiz. So the bushes at a busy intersection to became my port o pot. mmm...the beers did me in.
It took nearly an hour to FINALLY make it to his car. Jane and I parked our tired asses while Ryan took her bike and rescued us.
Notwithstanding, it was a great day for all of us, and Sugar Cycles was well represented.
PINKGURUGAL APPLAUDS ALL OF US FOR A DAY WELL RACED!
HOW SWEET IT IS!
Cheers and happy training!
There is no such thing as luck. Luck is what happens when opportunity meets preparedness. Steve Mermelstein

6 comments:

Jane said...

Luv ya. you are my biggest cheerleader. I've never had a personal cheerleader before. But your blog fans might be getting sick of seeing my on your blog.
Sunday was so fun! I need a copy of that pic with you and liam. He secretly wants a pink bike.

greyhound said...

Somehow, I kinda knew Jane could turn the big ring and generate some watts.

Tarabay said...

Hey, congrats on your sucessful race. I dont know you but I have seen you somewhere before, I'm sure of it. Maybe at a race or Twin Lake's or something...

pinkgurugal said...

hey thanks guys. i love cheerleading and yes, i will send photos...

Baun said...

Hot damn!!! Wow, those are some fast splits and awesome placements, for all involved. Congrats on your breakout performance!!

This is making me wanna get racing again!

pinkgurugal said...

uughh...buan you are racing!!! BEST OF LUCK IN CHICAGO! ON ON!