Thursday, October 4, 2007

What the flex??

Pinkgurugal has been out of commission for the last few days recovering from a .... FLEXERIL COMA In my aforementioned blog, I described my back pain problems post Cinco Ranch racing. For some reason, my back was not feeling so well earlier this week. In fact, it actually felt worse than after the Ironman...with muscle spasms and all. So rummaging through my roomie Liam's drawer, I found a muscle relaxant that I figured could ease some of my pain. It did the job... then PUT ME TO SLEEP for about 48 HOURS!

Holy crap! I not only slept that evening for mmm... TWELVE HOURS... I also slept the next night for another mmmm... TWELVE HOURS! How I made it through work the following day is short of miraculous. I even had to cancel dinner plans with a friend I had seen in a few years! Sorry!!!

How could one tiny pill be so strong? Well, Pinkgurugal went to the trusted internet to investigate. Here's an excerpt I found:

Avoid drinking alcohol, which can increase some of the side effects of Flexeril. Flexeril can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert

Who knew that ONE (fine ... two! ) beers followed by a Flexeril would have such a deleterious effect on Pinkgurugal? How could I succumb to the powers of this drug? I thought I was tough?

WRONG

So for the first time in FOREVER, I was FORCED to take THREE days off from training. What race I am training for remains to be seen, but I took time from it nonetheless.

Now, that may not seem like a big deal, but it is to me. And I trust most of you tri bloggers out there know this feeling of guilt, of remorse that you can't take the last 72 hours back.

Note to self: Don't take other people's prescribed back pain meds. Or DON'T drink beer beforehand. Or better yet, just stick with the beers.

Haven't I mentioned this? I NEVER professed to be smart.

Cheers and happy training!

Mahatma Gandhi - “Learn as if you would live forever, live as if you would die tomorrow.”

3 comments:

Jane said...

you didn't tell me you had the flexeril with alcohol. don't do that. i don't want a dead gurugal.

TriMedic said...

Lets go over pharmacopial math. When you Kindergarden teacher went over math with you. She was wrong 1+1 doesn't equall 2. In fact 1+1+1(2nd beer) really equalls 35. So kids today's lesson pain killer's and ETOH not a good combo.

Hope your back is feeling better and I mirror Jane's comment we do not want a dead pinkgurugal.

pinkgurugal said...

i like life too...I'M BACK! :)