Friday, October 19, 2007

The "Dyer" Consequences

Thursday evening Pinkgurugal went out with galpals Cheryl and Kelly for a...
Dose of Dyer Inspiration
My cell phone wasn't taking very good pictures of the evening, but the three of us went to listen to Wayne Dyer speak.
This was our friend's Debbie's idea. Simply an amazing and inspirational person, not to mention a hot babe, Debbie has been a spiritual mentor and wonderful friend to me over the last few years.
But she had to bow out because she needed to go out of town at the last minute. I hated that she couldn't come, but I am so grateful she got the tickets and thought of me.
So instead, Kelly came in Debbie's absence.
As hectic as life can be, sometimes it's good to be reminded of what really matters in this world.
A Wayne Dyer Didacticism

Wayne Dyer is a spiritualist who has inspired millions. While I have only seen him speak on PBS and have never read any of his THIRTY ONE books, attending this talk resonated with me.

You know, that whole "there are no accidents" thing, the"letting go" talk, the "quit worrying and change your attitude" stuff.

I know it's self helpy, but I like to help myself to spiritual growth and development

But the bulk of Dyer's talk was about taking Taoism and applying it to our lives. I didn't know this, and ironically, Taoism is the embodiment of my belief and value system.

Pinkgurugal's Readers Digest version of Taoism

Written in circa 500 b.c. by Lao Tzu, The Tao Te Ching (translation: The book of the way) basically teaches us to live our lives according to our true nature, and that is in our playful, innocent selves.
And life is a delicate balancing act, that with good comes bad (that yin and yang, water and fire thing)
There are 81 chapters in the Tao Te Ching. They say you can read them in an hour or a lifetime. And there are many paradoxes to this eastern philosophy (and I am paraphrasing) like:
less is more...
in the quiet you find wisdom...
true wealth is in the simple, not material.
I have long professed that if I could be any religion, I would be a Taoist.
Henceforth, my simple girl with a complicated mind self characterization.
Cheers and happy training!
"Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is enlightenment.” - Lao Tze

3 comments:

Tarabay said...

Enlightenment?? Humm.. I'm in need of a bit of that. Seems lately the only stimulation if had (not work related) would consist of fence building, pressure washing, and yard work... could be the topic of my next blog??

I picked up a couple bands yesterday and went for a short easy run, so far so good. I've also found a few workouts to isolate my inner quad, thats supposed to help to. I'm going to give it a few more days until I try for some distance. Could be another blog... humm..

Anonymous said...

Deep. I too believe things happen, and that people meet, for a reason.

pinkgurugal said...

i love yard work. you can see the results of the fruits of your labor...
and don't labor that knee too much. the marathon is still a few months away!