Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Flatlining

Bike bumbling
Pinkgurugal had a bad day.
Firstly, my back is SCREAMING in pain. In a previous blog, I mentioned I live with a bad lower back that I just quell with exercise and mmm... the occasional steroid injection (only before extended long distance races).
I think it had to do with Sunday's race. Going all out... and my back says OUCH 24-48 hours later.
So after a LONG and BUSY day at work, I decided I would de-stress by going for a ride.
Only there was a problem. I left my "normal" wheels in the Sugar Cycles trailer. And my front Zipp tire had a flat after the race. Why I am not sure.
So I decided I would change it. Now, mind you I have changed a few flats before. But not on these Zipps.
It was a feigned attempt that ended in a....
DISTRESSING DISASTER
Not only was I unable to wedge the tube into the tire, I also tore the new tube in the process.. Ride suspended. I surrendered.
So I medicated with a beer.
I had a blond moment. Shiner style.
Cheers and happy training!
"We never really know what stupidity is until we have experimented on ourselves."
Paul Guaguin

2 comments:

greyhound said...

Having had a disk issue myself (cevical spine, not race wheels) I know about the pain and that you can't go on with the steroid injections forever. You might want to see someone like my personal trainer to the stars who is an anatomical genius and studying to be a chiro to see of there is some preventative/structural/strength regimen you could do to alleviate or prevent flare ups. I'd really hate to see you miss out on one of your IM races next year, or worse yet, develop bone spurs that take you out of the game with surgery.

pinkgurugal said...

oh and i'm a major star f-er! :)

I do a lot of preventative work.
wierd thing is i took a flexorall last night and feel great today...
of course i slept 12 hours...
next time i will half it. don't want to miss out on annual im's!

so far so good, an annual checkup and mri reveals no problems. in fact my dr. says it has stabilazed since i started all this!