Sunday, October 7, 2007

Biking Blunders and a Marathon Mess

Country Ride Calamities After sleeping four 1/2 hours, Pinkgurugal and Jane's Addiction headed to the country for the usual 52 mile loop. Finger pointing Jane noticed something unsual on the ground as we were getting our bikes ready. Remnants of a water balloon? A gum wrapper? Nope, a closer yet physically careful examination revealed the rubber waste was a "wrapper" of a different kind. The kind only shared in the most intimate of moments....the "Trojan" kind....

"CONDOM"NATION

Hmmm??? My blog nemesis (see his link) Red All-EZ Guy also cycled here the prior day with life partner White English boy. According to other riders, the two fell way "behind" for awhile.

Pinkgurugal took this recent shot of White after he finished showering with Red

An Investigative Intuition

Where did Red go? Coincidence or connection? When pinkgurugal gal asked him about this convenient happenstance, All-EZ had this incriminating look on his face. You be the judge.

Such was the start of our morning ride. It was an overcast day, mostly uneventful but for a few rude motorists who can't seem to share the road. . This is why I say my prayers almost immediately when I start riding.
Cateye Call
WHY OH WHY! I HATE my Cateye! It constantly moves around, causing cadence skips, magnet misses and to top it off, it was rubbing on my pedal. So I tried to kick it in, and the damn thing just stopped working altogether. And everytime I fix it, Cateye moves again.
Wheel of Near Misfortune To culminate today's ride, just as I was barely backing up in the pinkgurugal mobile (AND I MEAN JUST) , I looked back and noticed one of our wheels was missing. So I stopped IMMEDIATELY. Instincts, or just plain luck, got the best of me. I was literally this close to crunching Jane's brand new wheel. Really, my tire barely squeezed hers.
We both forgot the wheel and left it leaning onto the car, thus knocking it under the tire. God's will. Thank goodness for prayer. But it appears his staff of angels might have been busy tending to other world tragedies because this year's big running race in Chicago has made .... MISERABLE Marathon History RE: Associated Press Excerpt: CHICAGO — A Michigan man died Sunday while running the Chicago Marathon as stifling heat and smothering humidity forced organizers to shut down the course midway through the race...... another 250 people were taken to area hospitals because of heat-related ailments.
This is really sad. I spoke to a few friends who were there who said the aid stations ran out of water, and those who were at 4 hours at the halfway mark were forced to suspend their race and turn around. What a disaster. Add to that 10,000 DNF's (did not finish). It goes to show that mother nature's wrath can and will wreck your race day. Cheers and happy training (sort of cheers...) Martin Luther King, Jr- "We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Crap! The wrapper incident/skit was funny!

Chw

Jane said...

Are you going to do Ironstar? If so, decide, decide! I'm putting this on the public blog to hold you accountable either way. Talk to Kelly and Liam.

greyhound said...

Always the DRAMA with you two!!

greyhound said...

FYI, I got dropped by the Tatas at race for the cure. Not nearly as fast as I wanna be

yet

Jane said...

Mike looks hot in that photo. No wonder Red luvs him.