Monday, October 29, 2007

Of Ironstar Interest

Race Renderings

My FINAL triathlon race of the year culminated with the Ironstar Half Ironman in Conroe, Texas on Sunday.
Truth be told, I wasn't terribly excited about this race, but I wanted to do it because
1) Jane's Addiction (that's her new nickname in celebration of herself and her new Guru bike, I'm dropping Ironbabe Jane) was doing it. So was my roommate Liam.
2) I didn't want to get trashed for Halloween Weekend (too tempting)
3) I like the tri lifestyle
So on the eve of the race, Jane, my roommate Liam and Kelly all headed up LATE (like by 9ish pm) to stay at the Best Western Motel, since it was across the street from the race start. Who wants to get up ass early and drive for an hour if you can book at hotel room for a hundred bucks?
Since the Red Sox were playing, none of us got to sleep until close to midnight. Liam is from Massachusetts. Go BoSox...
It would be close to 6am when we all decided to get up. I think Jane got up WAY earlier then us. I got some extra sleep by spooning with Liam and Kelly since it was chilly.
After grumbluing and stumbling, we finally got to the race start around 6:30 (okay maybe close to 7:00?) and unloaded our stuff at the transition area.
I must say that in typical me fashion, I was not so prepared and took a very laid back approach to setting up.
I feel badly because Jane was a little on edge. She later told me that she can't handle our "get there when we get there" attitude. I can empathize with her. It was her first half ironman. Last year this race was my first half IM. Sorry Jane! :(
Since Kelly is going to 70. 3 Worlds in a few weeks, she was our cheerleader and photographer.
The swim was fine on the way out, but on the way in, it was crazy choppy and I could not see the buoys. I got lost on the turnaround and for the first time EVER, I had thoughts that I would not make it. It felt SO far away. But after 48 grueling, hard fought minutes. I'm out.
A wimp when it comes to cold weather, I cursed myself for not bringing gloves and wearing my Sugar cycles shirt. I SWEAR for the first 45 minutes of the ride, I was so cold and wet I was shivering, and thoughts of dropping out again entered my head. And the shady parts of the ride in the beginning were the worst feeling.
FINALLY, I began to dry up, things got warmer, and I was feeling better. We woke up to 48 degree temperatures and by midday, things got to the 70's.
Doping Up and Out
I was fine until I made another bonehead move that at the time, seemed to make sense. During the bike, I took a vicodin for my back. Now my back felt great, but not so much in my head. Around mile 40 (i'm guessing because my frapping CATEYE CRAPPED OUT) I became delirious. It was windy on the way back, but I slowed down considerably and again, thoughts of dropping out entered my head.
But like most triathletes, I was determined to not give up and keep going. Getting off the bike into the run was tough.
I was tired. I was weak, but for some reason, I went ahead and started running and running a running. I guess the delirium wore off, because at the end I kicked it up and had my fastest half Ironman run time.
Of course, this was only my third half IM race, but tonight I compared the run times, and for this race, I averaged 10-12 minutes faster than the others. Strange?
My roommate Liam said tonight.. "Dude, races are all different..." It's true. You can be out there and have a bad day or a good day or be okay in one sport or suck wind in the other. Mother nature plays an important role, not to mention your state of being.
Finishing
Total time: 6:29:-- . I was happy with my time, and I am happy that at least for this year, the triathlon season is OVER!
Congrats to all of those who raced.
Our Sugar Cycles relay team took third! :)
Liam won his age group with an unbelievable 4:30:19 time!
Then our Sugar Cycles team watched as Jane's Addiction crossed the finish line. Way to go Jane! You officially have a half ironman under your belt!
I never regret racing. I overcame negative thoughts, the fear of not finishing, what not to do during the bike, and I felt good after the race. Yep, I definitely love this sport. But I am glad the 2007 racing year is finished!
Time to take a break....
Cheers and happy training!
"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world."
Harriet Tubman

4 comments:

Jane said...

Wow - Philip looks hot.

Tarabay said...

Your blogs are the best!

I wanted to quit when I did my half too. After the first 10 min of the swim I started not caring, and it lasted for most of the swim. When I turned on the last marker I felt better. However, You did great! What a good way to end the season.

And Liam, he's an animal out there.

Baun said...

the spooning pic: now, that's what I call a tri-mix! Not Jane's sadomasochistic drug... :)

Liam's a lucky man! And a bad ass tri stud - congrats to him.

Way to tough out the race and finish strong, PinkGuru. Congrats on a tremendous year!! (it's amazing how far you've come in 12 months!) Enjoy your rest.

pinkgurugal said...

hey thanks for the kind words tarabay. yep, it's over. yeah!
oh and baun- CONGRATS on a great race!!!!