Thursday, October 25, 2007

No nonsense news

A Reflective Realization Four months ago when pinkgurugal started journaling, it was mostly for fun. Well, blogging has been more to me than I could have imagined. Going through my past blogs crystallized what matters most to me: relationships and experiences. It has been great to be able to write not just in jest, but in the spirit of positive energy and optimism. I have a great outlook on life now. But as life goes, it didn't always come this easy. I read some of the quotes I included after each post. Some gave me chills. Having said how incredible this year has been, I am closing the chapter on another part of my life to begin a new one. And that's my professional career. This week I announced my permanent departure. Fade to Black For the last 15 years, I pursued a career in the TV news industry. From a meager intern, to a writer, to a reporter and anchor, in places far away and near, it has been an incredible ride. It was my passion. But my passions, as you may have read, have evolved.

Have courage will travel
One passion, that was on deferral too long is my wanderlust. An industry that is 24/7, with demands to leave on a big story and abandon everything on a moments notice, doesn't lend itself to extended time off.
So I am heading on a trip around the world. And I was touched with the memo sent out by my incredibly supportive station manager. Here's an excerpt:
Come the first of the year we're going to say good bye to Chau Nguyen. Chau has decided to see the world once her contract expires. She's planning on traveling to Vietnam, Tibet and Europe. As Chau says, she's going to follow her passion. I know Chau's smile and her amazing positive energy will be missed by all of us. A proper send off will follow. In the meantime, we'll start looking for her replacement next week. as she would say, "no worries".
My only regret: that I didn't journal about all the incredible stories and people I met along the way. What a privilege it has been.
Professional development
TV news changed me and made me into the compassionate person I am today. Without this exposure I am not sure I would be understanding and tolerant of people. You learn in this business that life isn't fair for a lot of people. Tragedy is tough. Life is suffering.
And for those of you who cast aspersions on the media, who think we are heartless vultures looking for the big get, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. In my experience, most are good people, who followed their passion to tell stories. I did. And nothing beats working with fantastic reporters and photographers. I will miss these guys greatly
No Worries
Some have approached me with bewildering looks on their faces. Why would I want to leave a great job, at a great station, in a career I worked so hard to build (trust me, this is not a business for the weak)?
Because I do have passion for life, and life isn't just about work for me anymore.
What will I do when I return? Who knows? But just like everything else I do, I will do it with commitment and intent, with all the zest and energy I have, and I will do it with courage. It is silly to be afraid of an uncertain future.
I embrace it. And I can't wait to see the world. You have one life. It's short. Live it.
Cheers and happy training!
"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
Alan Cohen

9 comments:

Baun said...

This post gave me chills, Chau! For real! Like I said in my email, it takes incredible courage to change, to leave the comfortable to follow your passion and dreams, to do all you can to live a meaningful life.

"Security is an illusion. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

Here's to your daring adventure!! All the best in your next chapter in life. And safe travels!

Baun said...

Oh, I forgot. Tibet?!! Man, that's on my dreams list. Wish I could meet up with ya!

Anonymous said...

I am sad, and excited for you. I'll miss seeing your smiling "princess" face on Saturdays. :)
You have definitely inspired me.

Ursula said...

Good for you on following your heart! (But my mom will surely miss trying to find you on tv all the time.)

And thanks for your advice, "guru"gal. I wish I could travel with you and then we could find ourselves and maybe figure out what to do, together. And bike the Italian coast! I saw that in a magazine once. :)

Jane said...

You are brave to do this and inspiring others to reeval their lives. you are doing this for all the right reasons and none of the wrong ones. You're right - life is short!

Anonymous said...

We will miss you. I am glad you are in a position to follow your passions.

Ms. Conduct said...

Congratulations! I know several people who took a career break to travel and *BE* and all have said it was the best decision they ever made. I hope you'll continue blogging on your travels! I always look forward to your posts as they help keep me inspired in my training and in life in general! :)

Anonymous said...

Have fun traveling Chau ... i wish you the best of lucks

pinkgurugal said...

hey guys thanks for the support and encouragement! i am so excited and have never been happier!