Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Wake up Water Call

Pondering my Doggy-Paddling Ways Something came to Pinkgurugal's attention last night that has continued to permeate my every obsessive thought today. The local paper apparently blogged about all of the Houston IMOO racers. And whoever wrote it duly noted my sluggishly slow time... here's the cut and paste version: Greater Houston Area IM Wisconsin Finishers Congratulations to the triathletes from the greater Houston area that completed Ironman Wisconsin this past Sunday, September 9 in Madison, Wisconsin. Joe Kachinski, who completed the half Ironman distance twice this year in Galveston (at Lone Star) and Buffalo Springs (in Lubbock), was the area's top finisher in 10 hours, 43 minutes and 32 seconds. Pinkgurugal (okay I changed my real name, i like this alias better) recorded her first Ironman finish after being one of the last 100 swimmers out of the water. (Sixteen of those later posted a "DNF" Do Not Finish.) Pinkgurugal, who finished in 13:38:07, was in 2,116th place after completing the swim in 1:45:01, but moved up over 700 places with a 6:50:31 bike and a 4:45:45 marathon. The complete list is as follows: Joe Kachinski, M35-39, Houston, 10:43:32 Kelly Carrington, W30-34, Houston, 11:36:27 Jorge Maya Velasco, M35-39, Houston, 12:27:27 Brett Blankner, M30-34, College Station, 12:59:26 Pinkgurugal, W30-34, Houston, 13:38:07 Cristina Fernandez Suchil, W30-34, Houston, 13:40:41 Kendall Gray, M40-44, Spring, 14:42:14 WHAT?? Fine, so I water waddled like a little floating sea turtle out there. See the resemblance. And I sure swam that way. My time swim admittedly SUCKED. But gosh, didya have to single me out ?? Maybe I should rename my blog mantra "Pinkgurugal: a simple girl with shameful stroke" My feelings are hurt. And I'm telling my Mommy. And dammit, this denunciation will only make me work that much harder to get more aquatically agile for the next Ironman. Get ready Austria (or China) AquaPink is coming!! It's on! Cheers and happy training! "'If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts; and if any would write in a noble style, let him first possess a noble soul." Johann von Goethe

5 comments:

greyhound said...

I was slowest of all. :( Of course I was oldest too.

And I outsplit you on the swim! Me!

I'll get you next time.

Dave said...

Not sure who the original blogger was... but... I recently read a conversation that went like (something) like this...

Person 1: I finished my first triathalon, in about 13 hours.

Preson 2 (obviously an untrained, overweight individual): That sounds slow.

Person 1: Oh yeah, what was your time in your last triathalon?

Person 2: (silence)

Person 1: Yeah, that's what I thought.

Simply finishing puts you in the top 99th percentile of people. Don't let anyone tarnish that!

Let not your heart be troubled.

Dave.

pinkgurugal said...

i admit swim defeat this time.
NOT next.
tgh - it's on!

dave: oh my aching heart...stroke :)

Jane said...

I hear that the Germans are very fond of little floating sea turtles.

pinkgurugal said...

and i head that little floating sea turtles would love to wade their way to germany, even if they have to trek across land ... mmmm