Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Language Matters

It's All about Edification
Although it may appear that pinkgurugal is one dimensional and lives and breathes triathlons, I am attempting to return to my roots.
No this isn't alphabet lessons, but I am learning to read and write in my native language, and that's Vietnamese. And this isn't my first time at this Roots Rodeo...
I started taking private lessons (again) with Truong Ngon, a man with an altruistic heart and a great Vietnamese lessons instructor.
It's a six-week 2 hour lesson, and he makes it very enjoyable. The first time I took this class, I was joined by 3 of my contempories, all in the same boat as me: Asian American, can speak the language, but can't read and write for crap. And the vocabulary of an 8th grader.
You can say I'm plain spoken, much like our president. You know, words like "strategery" , or quotes like
They misunderestimated me."
Anyways, for all you tri bloggers out there, I encourage you to step out of your zone and diversify your interests, whether it be taking language lessons, sewing, salsa, or whatever floats your boat.
Maybe one day I'll write this blog in vietnamese.
And that my friends, is Pinkgurugal's lesson of the day.
Cheers and happy training!
Plato - “If a man neglects education, he walks lame to the end of his life.”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had just gotten motivated to run and bike again reading your blog. Now I guess I have to finish school too. :)

Baun said...

Good for you, Co Gai Guru Mau Hong! (ha! i'm sure that makes no sense!)

Yes, PinkGuruGal is inspiring and changing lives, one blog reader at a time...

Steve Stenzel said...

Oh that president of ours...

...when's he done?.....

pinkgurugal said...

yeah ray! go for it!!!

okay baun just said pinkgurugal in vn...you're on the road!!!

steve: soon!!!!

Baun said...

yes, i'm on the road... to nowhere!!

momo said...

i'm the complete opposite - my roots are greek and i can read and write it, i understand most of it - but i cannot speak it to save my life. sounds like its about time i did something about that.

btw - i'm a pink guru gal too... :

Jane said...

Work the body and work the brain - it's the best thing to do. Fights off Alzheimers!

greyhound said...

I'll not be signing up for Cherokee language classes--not quite as useful.

You go ahead and git yer fancy book larnin', I still swim faster than you. :)