Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Odd and Onerous Observations

Holidays at Heart

There is something about the advent of the holiday season that always seems to find me in an awkward emotional predicament.

I don't get super excited this time of year. So a few days ago, during one of my runs, I psychoanalyzed why this is...why it is that I am ambivalent this time of year.

Cultural Identity

Thanksgiving and Christmas are largely American traditions, and ones most immigrant families have embraced over time. But growing up, there were no Thanksgivings at the Nguyens. I mean, our ancestors weren't pilgrims who landed east to settle into this fledgling of a country, so mom and dad did not make any deal of it.

So what was thanksgiving to us? I think we would go to a Chinese restaurant and eat. Truth be told, it carried little significance. I think one year I actually spent it with a friend's family.

And Christmas? Sure we were raised Catholics, so the Jesus thing we got down. But the whole notion of Santa was spoiled by my older brothers, and there were no presents under the tree. Instead, the kids got to go to the toy store and pick our favorite toys. Not the same Christmas tradition as most.

Vegas Deja Vu

Holidays devoid of American traditions were evident last Christmas when I flew to Las Vegas to visit my parents. My childhood best friend, Michelle, also came to spend "Christmas" with the Nguyens.

We had a nice "Christmas Eve" dinner, Vietnamese and family style. Then Michelle and I hit the strip around 11pm, went to the Ghost Bar and a nightclub called Light at the Bellagio Hotel.

So I'm thinking there would be few if anyone out. Wrong. The place was packed with Asians and Middle Easterners. Yep, those who observed the holidays just like the Nguyens.

I think we left the hotel around 6am. Seems strange? Maybe. But holidays seem different to me.

Now I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon about the holidays... I find it a wonderful thing that this is the time of year to focus on family. That matters. But I try to treat anytime I see my family as a holiday... as a blessing.

Notwithstanding, I wish I was spending this thanksgiving in Seattle with "he who shall not be named."

Cheers and happy training!

"Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is. "- Williams James

6 comments:

Spokane Al said...

I really like your mom's top.

No matter how or what your celebrate, your appreciation of family and friends always comes through loud and clear in your writings and pictures.

Anonymous said...

The Chelly is each other's family for life. As this year is already coming close to an end and this day of family appreciation is here, I am reflecting on how I am so blessed to have you in my life. You are one of the most influenial and meaningful person in my life and will always be.-chelly

pinkgurugal said...

thanks for the nice words al. you are officially listed as another blog i "likey likey." :)

CHELLY! i love you! we will always be the chelly and always be family!

Tarabay said...

I know what you mean about the holiday thing. My dad is Lebanese and my mom American. I can honestly say that our Thanksgiving and Christmas meals were not the typical feast in the typical American home. Actually, now that I think about it, I understand why my friends never wanted to eat at the Tarabay house.... Oh well... More for me!!!!

Anonymous said...

HWSNBN wishes you were here too! That electric blanket only goes so far...

Jane said...

What the hell did Ally do?

We have turkey and gravy, but then always have rice and kimchi. It's fusion thanksgiving.