Thursday, November 8, 2007

Career Comradery

Television Tales I am still processing this whole ending my TV news career thing. I have unequivocal trust I'm doing the right thing. Having said that, I will dearly miss many things about this business.

The Men in My Life

Among them, the relationships I have with my colleagues, especially the photographers and engineers I've known since the beginning of my 15 year career, most of which has been spent in Houston save for Saipan, Guam and Atlanta.

This is Kevin Greer, Eddie McCain and Jaime Zamora. I have known Kevin and Jaime from my early days as a 22 year old writer at the ABC station. I remember shadowing these photographers when I was just a young cub aspiring to become a reporter. Some of them even helped me edit my resume tape together.

And shit, Jaime's once baby twin girls are now 14... time really does fly!! As for Eddie, he is an engineer at our station and runs the live truck. He calls me "Miss Chau" and aside from stuffing ourselves into a tiny live truck countless times to edit and beat deadlines, we've had some great, deep and personal conversations. There was a time in our lives we were enduring some similar personal ordeals. Next is is me, Craig Bell and Gus Pereyra. Craig is a brand new reporter at the ABC station, but Gus works with me. We work with many photographers, but Gus is among my favorite with whom to work. He calls me his little sister. And we share a love for cycling. In fact, Gustavo was the first person who took me for my first long ride on my bike. 47 miles and all I had was one gu. How things have changed... In corporate America, I presume your cohorts are limited to watercooler talk. Not in TV News. Not as a field reporter. You get close to these guys. You learn from them. You hear their life stories. They've heard mine, whether it be fun and silly, or serious and depressing. Man I'll miss these very human moments. We cover real life stories. On this day we covered a very terrible murder trial. But set aside work, we bond.

What an honor it is boys... keep doing the great work you do, and don't let middle management bring you down!

Cheers and happy training! "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. " Carl Jung

1 comment:

Tarabay said...

Your right, my best conversation I've had at work is when we got a new microwave in the office kitchen. Otherwise its office drama and who's getting a divorce...

As for the blog end quotes, I dont know anything about Chi or an honor code. I cheated my way through school and my Chi has now been replaced one liners from Office Space, Monty Python, and Superbad.... I afraid I cant relate....