Monday, November 26, 2007

Back to Biking, In rare running form

Indoor Agony It's official. Now that it's finally cold, I pulled out the bike trainer and started cycling. I hate cycling indoors, I miss heading to conroe for that quasi hilly 54 mile loop, but truth be told, I HATE the cold. And I need to buy toe warmers and leg warmers. On Saturday I cycled one hour and 15 minutes, then did my ab class on TV. It had been awhile since Pingurugal took pink for a spin. My only saving grace is the TV. I hardly ever watch TV, and the only shows I watch these days (on TIVO) are 60 minutes, Ugly Betty and the CBS Sundy Morning Show (an all time edifying favorite). Having said that, I began wondering why 1) My cable bill seems to be steadily rising every month (it's at $147!) 2) Why do I even bother with cable? Well, my only justification is that it's convenient. Probably not fiscally sensible. But choices are good when you have it. Making up for lost Marathon Training time Since I have hardly trained for the Houston Marathon, (okay I haven't trained AT ALL!) and it's seven weeks away, today I decided to get my butt out to the park and run 14 miles. Not that it was bad or hard, but I was sooooo bored, even with my Ipod. Not to mention there were cold breezes in the shade. Brrrr! One marathon year I didn't even train and ran my long run the week before the race. That was silly. So I figure I'll just do long runs coupled with short runs during the week until the race. I guess I've gotten bored with running. I still like the marathon, but one a year is more than enough for me. Triathlons are so much more fun. So many things go through my mind while running. From the mundane to the profound. Silly things like the clean laundry I still have to fold. And deeper things like reconciling fate over happenstance. Relationship Ruminations Can one be fated towards something or someone? Or is it just by mere coincidence? Einstein said "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous." I resonate with that quote. I'm voting hope over happenstance....Serendipity... Kismet, and all the goodness that comes with Einstein's coined coincidence quote. I say go for God, whatever that means to you. I don't know why I'm rambling. Probably the delirium kicking in from that run. Or maybe my mind runs in circles about questions which I trust few can really emperically answer without that word we call faith. Anyhoo.... Cheers and happy training! "The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions." -Alfred Lord Tennyson

4 comments:

Tarabay said...

Yall are funny.. Monday night football at the Tri Commune?? Might there be some booze involved??? I understand the cycling on the trainer; I understand the ab’s DVD... BUT $147 for cable how many freaking channels do you have??? Ah, I also feel your pain with the marathon training I have yet to go over 6 miles in the last 2 month, I need to get on the ball... Unfortunately after that you lost me...

Happenstance? Serendipity? Kismet? Who are these yahoo's?? Sounds like names of adopted children that live in Hollywood.

As for keeping an eye on me, be careful. I think I contracted Conjunctivitis at the pool over the weekend.

greyhound said...

Bike trainers bite. Come out for some intervals at the picnic loop tonight. It's not that cold.

Jane said...

COOL SONG! I HAVE YOUR BLOG PAGE SET NOW AT WORK JUST TO HEAR THAT SONG OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

Pink guru girl=Chau Nguyen!

Now i know who you are:)

hope your winter training is going well!