Thursday, January 10, 2008

Marathon Meditations

Recovery Road It appears my recovery from the sickies is beginning. Today was a better day, evidenced by the fact that I did not wake up like my head was going to explode and feeling completely dizzy and weak. (I literally slept all day yesterday!) Still feeling weak however, I decided to do my usual obsessive cleaning of the house on this beautiful thursday. Of course, when you are a jobless bum I honestly wasn't sure if today was actually thursday. On the Liam sickies front, today was his turnaround day. He is finally feeling better, went to work, and is eating again. I've never seen him so depressed from not being able to train. Thank goodness he's back. The tri commune was a mess this week. Today's laundry list of to-do's included clearing out the guest bedroom, cleaning the couch, vaccuuming the floors, and cleaning the kitchen. Total time: four hours. I feigned running today but did not make it very far. Which leads to my next topic 26.2 Torment Holy Shit! The houston marathon is this SUNDAY and I have been sick all week. In fact, I can't remember the last time I took six days off. Ambivalence over this race has permeated my every thought today. Should I? Shouldn't I? Will I be able to breathe? What if my knees and ankles give out? After all, my marathon training has been less than impressive, with only a couple of long runs (really, a 14 miler and a 20 miler) and some other runs. But hell, I'm running it. This will be my fifth Houston in a row and my 7th marathon. I can't quit. I'm not wired that way. And yes, there are no pics lately. My laptop crashed, and my desk top stinks. Oh and tonight my dear friend Debbie has asked my to speak before hundreds of new marathoners at the Houston Fit Pasta dinner. Do as I say, not as I do.... Cheers and happy training! "I always loved running... it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs." Jesse Owens

3 comments:

greyhound said...

Yep, I saw Liam smoking it around Memorial Park last night. He's back.

Baun said...

Hey, good luck tomorrow! You are totally hardcore. Have fun out there and enjoy the moment.

Anonymous said...

im so sad that you and yours are suffering. but it adds fuel to the fact that you are NORMAL. for the past few years i have thought of you as a "china doll" thats 1000% complimentory. and now im finding out you are real,,yes there is a snata. i will look for you today among the 20k runners and this year im going to go into training to be a real spectator. btw this is an "OLD" fan.my only trips to houston are to the V.A. hosp. Good luck and God bless, its people like you and yours that make people like me proud of what they have lived,worked and fought for