Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Bye-Bye Banter

On Air Exit
Saturday ,morning was my final day on the air at KHOU, and my final farewell to what has been a 15 year career in TV News. I couldn't sleep the prior night, but I felt fine once I started anchoring.
Truth be told, the morning seemed like just another day, although it wasn't. The floor regulars, Don, Ray and George and Thanh were there...I'll miss these guys.
Rob and my friends Christine and Kip were thoughtful enough to come to the station in the final hour of the news. We had a lot of fun during the commercial breaks, and they caught a glimpse of what I do in that time.
Then it was time to say goodbye. I didn't have much to say other than "...thanks, so long and see ya around." Some might think this would be an emotional moment, but if you saw the look on my face, the emotions were more of excitement than of sorrow. I think because I have reconciled this end for awhile and was leaving on my terms. Or maybe it all hasn't hit me. Heck, while everyone is working today , it's nearly 9:30am, and I am still in my robe. I have a long list of to-do's I need to get through, but hey, I am taking the whole month off!

And it occurred to me this morning that I have never taken more than two weeks off since I was 19 years old! Add to that I worked full time through college, not to mention I finished college in 3 1/2 years. WHEW!

Oh and everytime I have taken time off, I have always headed somewhere for vacation.

So needless to say, I am eager to spend this time to decompress. Even if it means blowing off some errands for the day or laying around in my bathrobe. Cheers and happy training!

9 comments:

greyhound said...

Some amount of bathrobe time is good for the brain, and for the soul.

Just don't overdo it, or those Iron Chica abs will not be long for this world. ;)

Baun said...

Damn, looking fine in your newcast! :) Welcome to the "temporarily retired" life. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your time off and good luck with all that you do in the future.

I enjoyed watching you work through the years and you will be missed. Saturday mornings won't be the same with out you on the TV.

Douglas
Houston

Tarabay said...

Nah, not eager to me, actually not emotional at all, very well done. But then what do I know? Sometimes I laugh at inappropriate times during the Lifetime Specials that I get suckered into.

Marathon training? If that’s a code name for gluttony, then YES!!! I'll start my taper this weekend...

Anonymous said...

Your exit was typical you,,true class. Now i wonder is ther life after Chou or is Sat morning ongoing withdraw?. I am an OLD fan and in a previous e mail i documented my thoughts of your reporting ability. I leave with this. i now have sweeter words for all the bikers i see in my area. thank you and god bless

pinkgurugal said...

trigreyhound... does sitting on the computer eating leftover enchiladas help the abs? :)

baun - yeah.. now i will know what it will be like to be you! :)

douglas, thank you for your kind words... i am humbly honored

tarabay - shit we have a marathon to run next weekend!

anonymous - i trust whomever they seat on that chair on saturday mornings will be a class act... thank you for watching...it means a lot...

Anonymous said...

You are a true inspiration. I will follow your conquests on your blog. You look so happy and relaxed. It is nice to see someone so happy. I hope all continues to go well for you. Will you be traveling soon? John (JP)

The Stretch Doc said...

you will be missed on air..

glad to see ya smile tho!!

rockon`

ChoiBoy said...

Hello Chau. I'm so sad to hear that you left the TV business. Saturday mornings will not be the same without you. I'm very glad to have worked with you back in my days when I was at KHOU. Thanks for showing a young fella the ropes. I'm sure you won't be missing the early morning hours and late nights. Enjoy your time off!!