Sunday, February 24, 2008

Island Excursions

Soaking in Saipan

It has been a great few days on Saipan. And most of my time has been spent doing my favorite activity here, and that's hiking. Saipan has so many great trails, and it never ceases to amaze me how much of the island there is to see and explore.
Sunday morning, Tina, her son Steven an his friend Carolina (visiting from Tokyo) went on a hike to my favorite place on island, a place named Forbidden Island.
Ithink the name has to do with the locals' lore, that this rough, rocky beachfront is haunted with evil spirits. There have been a number of drownings over the years. Carelessness here can cost you.
It's about a 20 minute trek down to the base of the "island". And the trek is nothing short of cool, as you traverse through the woods... all the while taking in the amazing views.

Once down Forbidden Island, we all jumped in for a swim with the fishies. Carolina and I decided to feed them some goldfish we brought along.

I think the neatest part of exploring forbidden island is going to the secret cold pool cave. You literally have to crawl through and down huge rocks.

Once we found the cold water pool cave we swam in it for awhile. Now when I say cold I mean like 75 degrees cold.

Not cold at all, but colder than the ocean water, since the water trapped in there doesnt get much sunlight. That ray of light you see on the right of the photo is where the rough ocean water spills into the cave.

I love forbidden island. It's always much fun everytime I go. And to think I used to go here all the time....

Volleying Around

This afternoon was spent enjoying a leisurely day at the Pacific Islands Club Hotel, where a beach volleyball tournament was taking place. Locals and well as world class pros competed.

Really, I'm told this guy sitting there is the number one ranked beach volleyball player in the world... I mean like the best. Of course, as I write this, his name escapes me.

He played doubles with one of my expat buddies who still lives here, and ironically, bought and runs the local tv station where I used to anchor.

That's Chris Nelson playing with the world's best. I think if I were Chris I'd be shaking. That would be like me riding in a pelaton with Desiree Ficker.

I took this photo for the sake of my roomie Liam, whom I thought would appreciate this pro beach volleyball player from Italy.

Yes, Saipan is a neat place. It's very outdoorsey, and there's always something going on. These are how the weekends are spent. No shopping, no sittin' in traffic to head to the malls, no stress.

I find those who took the plunge, who left their creature comforts in the states to live this lifestyle are my kind of people.

Damn I love Saipan and miss it. I can hardly believe I moved out here twelve years ago and left Saipan to continue my career climb.

My how life sometimes has a way of coming full circle.

Cheers and happy training!

"Life is all memory, except for the one present moment that goes by you so quickly you hardly catch it going." Tennessee Williams

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping those who follow you,up to date on your ventures. You seem so happy and that's good

I don't have a handle on the time difference but i think I'm close.. It's 2 pm sunday here in Houston and i think its maybe hmmm 5 am there.. and hopefully you are set for another fun filled day.

God bless Ge....yepp another step out of the closet. no you don't know me and i doubt we will ever meet but i am a fan of yours so pls don't worry. i enjoy knowing good people like you and those you hang with , you are all great people.

God bless.

Tarabay said...

You have a fan club??

God Bless Italy!!!

Baun said...

holy shit, i want to visit/live there! great pics.