Monday, October 6, 2008

School stuff

Graduate School Grunts . . . I'm a student again. A graduate student that is. Eight plus weeks ago I started the first semester in a two year program to get my masters in SOCIAL WORK. . . . At first I was so nervous about going to school. I mean, it had been 14 years since I was a student. And this is total career change, not to mention a life change for me. I mean, I went from being a blow and go reporter to graduate student. From high profile to no profile. And I love it. . . Not that there had been some questionable days. . . I could talk about the day I got lost on campus after orientation and cried in the pouring rain. Then there was that first week of school, when I lugged my books, parked a million miles away, and suffered the worst back pain ever. I rectified that by buying a nerdy rolling backpack. . . It's pink of course. . . .

.

.

.

Overall, it has so far been a positive experience. I like my professors, love my classmates (all but 3 of whom are women), and I especially enjoy the subject matter. Social work is in the business of helping people, particularly the poor and underserved. We help in crisis, counsel, aid, advocate... anything that has to do with helping people who otherwise might not be able to help themselves. Tomorrow I begin my yearlong internship at Baylor College of Medicine working with severely disabled teens and young adults. I'm pretty nervous. And it will be the first time this year that I have gone to "work". I suspect it will be a humbling experience.

.

. I got a much needed massage today from Cheryl, so I decided I would not ruin my loosened back by taking the day off from running.

.

I know, I need to run if I want to make that half ironman in five weeks.

.

But I have homework. And Rob's making steak and okra.

.

And it smells so yum.

.

Cheers and happy training! "You're happiest when you're making the greatest contribution." Robert F. Kennedy

2 comments:

Triathlete Mom said...

Hi,
I just left you a comment on your Blog and the whole thing vanished when I found out I had to sign up through google. :( Anyway, I was just saying Congratulations on your Triathlons!! That is amazing!! I have just gotten into doing triathlons this past June, and I love it! My favorite part is the cycling, and that's how I ended up here because I've been doing some reading on the Guru bikes and I'm very impressed with them, and I LOVE pink! So I googled Pink Guru bikes to see if they even make them, and your Blog came up! :) I was wondering if you had to special order yours, or did you find it at a specialty bike shop? Also which Guru would you recommend? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated! I can be reached at Triathlete_mom@yahoo.com. I also want to say best of luck going into the field of Social Work! Those kids need you more than you will ever know! I'm an Activity Therapist in a mental hospital, and the teens are my favorite age to work with! :) They need so much guidance due to the fact that it is just plain difficult being a teenager in this day and age! So, hang in there, you will do great!! Just remember... They need you! And the rewards you will feel within your heart will be worthwhile! There will be a lot of tough days, but some very rewarding ones as well! :) Also, best of luck to you in your next Triathlon! You will do great!! :)
Always Believe~
~Terri

Spokane Al said...

Wow! I was catching up on blogs via Google Reader and there was yours! - with a couple of new posts! It is great to see that you are back. I will be once again looking to your enthusiasm for life as you complete your latest stylistic left turn!

P.S. School is the best!