Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Muscle Memory

Running Rumination . . I have not run in weeks. In fact, the last time I remembered running was a couple of weeks ago, and I ran 4 miles at best. . . . A big part of the reason I have not been runnning has to do with my bad back. I've got fracture lines, herniation, deterioration, complications..blah blah blah. . . . This december, I've decided that ten years of pain is enough. I'm done with band aiding the problem. I'm going to have spinal fusion surgery. Plus removal of a vertebrate and a disc. Fun. . . Mmm... I digressed my point. ADD moment. Sorry...that's me. . . So anyhoo, since I am committing to a half ironman November 9th, and since I am cram training, I am hitting things as hard as a can. . . . 123 miles of riding over the weekend. ... Yesterday I took off. . . . Tonight: Seven miles. . . . I was slow as molasses, but surprisingly, I made it. Sure I was tired. Sure it hurt my back. But I ran without stopping, and that's what I needed to know, that I could run. . . . So my commitment to myself is to continue throwing together workouts for the next four weeks to be ready for the half. I will probably be slow. I will probably be in pain. Heck, I may even regret it. . . . But I need to get into the spirit of triathlon again. I won't be doing any for at least a year after my surgery...so this last one will be the big shi-bang. . . . In fact, I am SO SAD I will not be running my sixth consecutive Houston Marathon in January. I am selling my race entry to a girlfriend. Boo hoo. . . .

.

.

.

I'm glad I'm back at all this. Training is not the same. I'm doing it alone again.

.

.

But I need it.

.

.

.

One footnote: I started my social work internship. Office environments are such a departure from a TV news room... talk about some serious career culture shock!! . . . Cheers and happy training! . . Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. ~Henry David Thoreau

No comments: