Sunday, October 5, 2008

Blog...is this you?

Even though I took a blog break for some time, and even though I should be writing one of four papers for school (more on that in a moment), I am back to my blog, compelled to write. I mean, blogging was such a part of my life in 2007, then I sort of dropped it like a hot potato in 2008. As I became more involved with my personal life and the changes surrounding it, I became less involved with triathlons and thus, blogging. But I must admit, I just plain miss it. My blog kept me self inspired, and in many ways, it's therapeutic. My blog is just a part of who I am, however egocentric that sounds. Anyhoo, in life, sometimes to you have to be look for signs. Mine came over the weekend. 1) As I was packing for a weekend trip to the country for some self reflection and for some hard core, much needed cycling, my ironman wisconsin swim cap reappeared, even though I thought I lost it. It made me smile and think about that very happy day of my life. And it was just a year ago. 2) Rob sent me a text and encouraged me to blog again, just as I was thinking about my blog. 3) My best friend's mother sent me the sweetest card and embroidered cross to carry in my wallet. Thank you Edie! Ryan is lucky to have you as his mother! 4) Today, while out on my bike, I received the kindest blog comment from a reader. MIND YOU I have not received a comment in MONTHS. Who reads blogs that are on hiatus, much less comments? Now if this isn't a sign, I'm not sure what is. Here's an excerpt: "I think reading your blog helped me find that person I always was. Take care and God Bless" To that blog reader, thank you for your kind comment. I am deeply humbled and I will have you know, it gave the emotional lift I needed to get through the latter half of my 50 mile ride today. I teared up. Really, you have no idea how touched I was. Things happen for a reason. There are no accidents in life. And thank God there were no pinkgurugal style accidents over the weekend.

I have not been training lately. I have not been running. And I have hardly been swimming. But this weekend, I needed to ride. And ride I did.

199.75 KM

9:01:43 HOURS

That is the actual reading on my Mavic from 3 days of riding. Don't ask me to do the math, but I'm guessing it's somewhere around 120 miles or more? As for the hours, give or take 30 minutes, and I think it's the actual time I spent riding. Because I have not been riding, I am really slow right now!

Some people escape through drugs, drinking or partying or heck, even shopping! I escape by heading to the country, finding a fabulous bed and breakfast, and getting on my bike each morning. Because on my bike I pray. I cry. I whine. I smile. I hurt. I process.

I think.

Riding in the country is my therapy. It's familiar to me. It reminds me of good times. And bad ones.

There is nothing better for my soul than gliding through those gently rolling hills with just me, nature and my thoughts.

Mine are all over the place these days.

One thought I had in mind was crash training for the local Ironstar Half Ironman. It's exactly FIVE WEEKS from today. I have not been training, but I can do it... mmmm.. I think.

Well, there is this major back surgery I have scheduled for December, but hey what's one more half ironman a month before that surgery? So what if my lower back shrills in pain every time I run. Nothing a cortisone shot won't do to band aid the problem one more time, right?

AM I CRAZY?

Yes I am. But riding in the country over the weekend made me realize how much I miss training, how much I miss blogging, and how much I needed to get back to both, even at the expense of some serious lower back pain.

I need to get inspired again. I'll talk about school the next time.

Cheers and happy training (to me) !

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

2 comments:

Kat~ said...

I'm so happy you are back!! Missed your updates. Hope that you have a great break this summer good luck in you Half Ironman. Kat~

Unknown said...

Holler...how about a challenge..2009 cozumel ironman. I will try and convince Ryan K.

--Brent Schmitt