Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tejas Race not so Ready

. Over the weekend Pinkgurugal got back into the tri spirit to race in the Tejas triathlon. . . This is a special race for me for plenty of reasons. . . . 1) I like this race course. . . . 2) It was my first triathlon race EVER three year agos, so reflecting on my "progress" is a neat feeling..... . . you know.... stuff like: how nervous I was because it was my first ever open water swim, how I rode a kids trek bike back then (really!) how I watched others in the transition area to figure out what the hell i was doing...and blah blah blah.... . . 3) My buddy Christine raced with me. . . .

.

.

.

This is really special, because Christine and I started doing triathlons together three years ago...

.

.

.

She took a few years off, and I went on to continue racing over the last few years.

.

.

But for the Tejas tri, we were reunited...."and it feels so good..."

.

.

.

. . . Okay, peaches and herb moment aside (get yer mind outta that gutter), Tejas proved to be another first for me....

.

.

.

Racing after after THREE hours sleep and drinking mucho bloody mary's and vodka grapefruits. . . . .

.

.

.

.

I present you the culprit and enabler of my social drinking problem. . . .

.

.

.

Not that Rob and I partied on the eve before Tejas, but it's just so hard to turn down another drink after the first...and second...and third...especially in the comfort of your own home.

.

.

.

I think I even drunk blog commented Tarabay at 1 am. (Great to also finally meet you btw and CONGRATS on your bling!)

.

.

.

Oh and the prior post was also the product of pinkgurugal gets tipsy and gets type happy.

.

.

. Anyhoo back to me and the race.

.

.

So when the alarm went off at 5:20am, somehow, I stumbled out of bed. It would be around 6:10am that Christine, Rob and I all depart homebase. Oh and the race starts at 7am.

.

.

Still in a fog, I manage to get Christine and me into transition area SIX MINUTES before it closes.

.

.

.

WHEW!

.

.

Since our wave didn't start immediately, Christine and I had a few minutes to decompress from the morning mayhem. . . . I was too tired and too hungover to really think about the race. But other than, I'd figure I'd do it. Really, I felt no nerves, after all it was only a 600 meter swim, a 9 mile ride and a 3 mile run, right?

.

..

Well, I have to say the race went fine. For the first few minutes of the swim, I thought maybe I'd tire out, but I never did.

.

.

.

Total swim time: 14:18

and 2:23 minutes (per whatever meters avg.)

. . . Here I am hustling outta that duck crap pond!

.

.

.

.

T1 was fine, I was in and out quickly in 1:32

.

.

As for the biking, I decided just to give it my best and go as hard as I could.

.

.

Total bike time: 28:27 19mph average

.

.

.

T2 I felt a bit tired getting off the bike, but I still managed to do it in 1:27. . . As for the run, there is no question my lack of running in TWO WEEKS (hey, i was on vacation and I hate running in this heat!) hurt me. I still gave it my all though

.

.

Total run time 28:02

.

.

.

and 9:20avg

.

.

.

Total race time 1:13:49

.

.

I placed 14th out of 46 in my age group. Sure I could have trained more, slept more and drank a whole hell of a lot less, but then this race wouldn't be so memorable, right?

.

.

By this point, you're probably thinking, Wow, how'd she do that and feel fine?

.

.

Well, I'm not positive, but maybe the three midol, two tylenol and one vicoden (it's for my bad back in case you'r wondering) helped?

.

.

I will say, however, my temporary burst of energy and might all went downhill after we left the race and went to eat.

.

.

I wound up yacking my entire everything just as we were pulling away from breakfast.

.

.

And I suffered all day by sleeping it off.

.

.

.

Oh, enabling aside, thanks to sherpa Rob for being our cheerleader and photographer. It's nice to have your own personal everything on race day!

.

.

Cheers and happy training!

.

2 comments:

Tarabay said...

Your funny..

What is that "Tarabay" link too?? Tarabay.com??? maybe I'm famous??

hope the puke ended up outside or somewhere easy to clean...

hey, great job on the tri, although for you it was more of college stunt... Could be a new X-Game???

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

hmmm...you are gutsy for tri-ing after a bender. i have ran some races...a 10k or so and felt...questionable. a tri? you are crazy, and strong woman!

(and still finishing in front of me!:)