Thursday, May 15, 2008

Have Road Will Ride

Gurus Gone Ridin . . One of the luxuries of being on career sabbatical is being able to ride on a weekday. It's nice to be able to head to the country with a friend to do an easy 50. What's even nicer is the ability to pack two bikes in a truck so easily. Look Mom, the tiniest GURU bikes ever built! . . . . . . Since Ironbabe Jane is in her waning weeks of IM Austria, this is the kind of riding she needs. I need this to keep my sanity. Only crazy people take self photos while on a bike. Here I am showing off my new 8 dollar sunglasses purchased from the local convenient store. . . . .

.

.

I'm kinda surprised Jane still likes me, given I convinced her to sign up for IM Austria, then bailed for blah blah reasons. . . All told, today's ride was quite ideal. Here we are, in mid May, in what is supposed to be the beginning of the summer sizzle deep in the heart of Houston, Texas. . . . Instead, Jane and I enjoyed a cool, overcast day. By the time we got to the country, the rain had moved south. We didn't get wet, and the roads were not too terribly slick. There was plenty of tailwind, and there was little traffic. . . . . . . One of the beauties of riding on a weekday. .

.

I did my good deed of the day by pushing a turtle off the road, even though I think he was dead.

.

.

We also saw an unusually high number of vultures. Jane swears she saw a coyote with one of the packs and had a "holy shit" moment (she was recently attacked by a dog). . . . I relished in a small stretch of the road Jane characterizes as velvet. Somewhere around mile 36, the road becomes smooth to uber smooth. I think that stretch was recently repaved. . . I wish all roads were velvet. . . Cheers and happy training! . . . "Life is a series of moments, to live each one is to succeed" Corita Kent

1 comment:

Tarabay said...

I want your job... or uh, a career sabbatical.. need an assistant?? A long bike on a weekday sounds nice.