Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Far from Seventh Heaven

A week's worth
.
One week ago, just around the time I am writing this, I was being wheeled into surgery. I don't remember being knocked out. The last thing I remember was being in the pre op area, having a needle with some white looking stuff I was told was valium injected into me. Apparently, that valium was supposed to make me calm. It made me pass out a tad early, but that's alright. The sooner, the better.
.
So what's the prognosis today? Progress, but slow. Last night I managed to walk a whole mile at the gym. The gym has an indoor track that measures 1/8 a mile. It took me a whole 30 minutes! I have to walk slowly, because my back still hurts, and with every step, I can feel some twinge or pang. Oh the joys of post back surgery.
.
One mile in 30 minutes? How crazy does that sound?
.
Taking Today off
I have spent the day indoors. I am easing off on the cleaning and house chores because it probably wasn't a great idea. Last night, we went to bed late because we stayed up watching True Blood, a new HBO series about modern day vampires who have "come out of the coffin" and are adapting to mainstream America now that a japanese made synthetic blood is available. Ha! The show is addicting, but I think it made for some pretty wacky dreams overnight.
.
I dreamed I was dangling precariously from a trapeze. It felt freeing and dangerous at the same time, and I was doing it at a department store. What the dream meant I have no clue.. what kind of metaphor is that?
.
Pain Threshhold Thoughts
.
I used to think I had a high threshhold for pain, given my years of back problems. I think I was wrong. Case in point, getting my ironman tattoo hurt like hell. Kelly, who got one at the same time, didn't feel it as much as I did. Then I hate needles. It hurt when I got stuck at the hospital.
.
Now to my "new and improved" back.
.
I am still feeling a great deal of pain if I don't take the vicoden. I take two every 4 to 6 hours. I tried taking just one this mornng, but it didn't help. And when I wake up, my back hurts like crazy.
.
So if I really had a high threshhold for pain, don't you think I would not need so much pain medication at this point?
.
Trust me, if I could, I would get off the meds entirely!
.
Dog Day Afternoons
I have to share these photos. My dogs have no idea what to do now that I am home all the time!
.
.
.
.
. . Ally basically plops onto the couch and snores away. I now she looks depressed, but she really looks like this all the time. . .

.

.

We recently adopted Tommy from my parents, who couldn't take care of him anymore. He has been a really sweet dog and is actually a better guard dog than ally (he barks at everything). I love that he camouflages when on the couch!.

.

Cheers and happy training!

.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown

No comments: